Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Action Learning Reflection 2

I think that I'm still having trouble distilling my topic down to the necessary points. I know that I want to investigate funding of libraries in public school systems, and that I want to specifically investigate libraries in Watauga County, as that's where I plan to be working, but I'm not sure if I want to do a comparison of those libraries in terms of funding or if I want to investigate one library's funding sources in depth. Which would be more beneficial in the long run? Would it be more valuable to understand things from a more "big picture" approach or to look closely at a school where I am likely to work? Am I doing this to make my future career a bit easier, or simply for my own edification and working with future colleagues?

In looking at the template and questions, I don't know if I can even use the questions there yet. It seems like I may have to frontload this more than anticipated, rather than doing what I typically think of as a project, which I think is the point. It seems like this project is structured more how I like to structure my science fair projects with kids, where they do some research and then come up with the questions. I know that I did some preliminary research in my interview initially, but I think I may have to do some more digging to really get a distinct idea of the direction I want to go.

I am wondering how our new change in administration at the county level will affect the allocation of funds to school libraries. Is that a state or local decision concerning the percentage of the budget that is spent in the media center? Is that of relevance here? Again, I seem to be having more questions than answers and I'm struggling with where to begin. Do I narrow down my questions, or try to find answers to all of them in hopes of finding a topic that really fits and one that I can run with?

No comments: